The global industrial gas leader Air Products has signed a definitive agreement for a long-term on-site contract for a world-scale coal-to-methanol production facility in Bengalon, East Kalimantan, Indonesia. Air Products will invest approximately USD 2 billion in Bengalon for coal-to-methanol facility.
As per agreement Air Products will build, own and operate the air separation, gasification, syngas clean-up, utilities and methanol production assets to produce methanol for Bakrie and Ithaca. This facilityincluding Air Products’ proprietary Syngas SolutionsTM dry-feed gasifierwill enable nearly two million tons per year (TPY) of methanol to be produced from nearly six million TPY of coal. The project is expected onstream in 2024.
The major investments and acquisitions by Air Products are mentioned below:
- April 2020: Air Products announced the completion of five steam methane reformer (SMR) hydrogen production plants from PBF Energy Inc. for approximately $530 million. The Hydrogen plants are located in Torrance and Martinez, California and Delaware City, Delaware, the USA.
- March 2020: Air Products is building three new nitrogen plants near Zuidbroek, Groningen, in The Netherlands, along with N.V. Nederlandse Gasunie. The new nitrogen plants, to be operational by mid-2022.
- February 2020: Air Products Qudra, a global Industrial gas leader is constructing a fully-integrated industrial gases hub in the Jubail Industrial City, Jubail, Saudi Arabia, in collaboration with the Royal Commission for Jubail and Yanbu. Air Products Qudra is a joint venture of Air Products and Qudra energy.The investment includes building, owning, and operating a world-scale steam methane reformer (SMR) to produce hydrogen, an air stioeparan unit (ASU) to produce oxygen and nitrogen. The Air Products Qudras Jubail facility includes an ASU and PSAs, and the location will serve as the pipeline hub for industrial gases to be supplied to individual customer connections in the region.
- January 2020: Air Products announced $500 million investment in the United States to build, own and operate (BOO) its largest-ever steam methane reformer (SMR) to produce hydrogen which will be connected to and extend, to approximately 700 miles. The company will also supply Gulf Coast Ammonias new world-scale Texas production plant.
- August 2019: Air Products completed the acquisition of General Electric Companys gasification business from GE Power. Details of financials were not disclosed.
- March 2019: Air Products has completed the acquisition of ACP Europe SA (ACP), the largest independent carbon dioxide (CO?) business in Continental Europe. All required customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals have been satisfied.
About Air Products
Air Products is a world-leading industrial gases company in operation for over 75 years. The company provides industrial gases and related equipment to dozens of industries, including refining, chemical, metals, electronics, manufacturing, and food and beverage. Air Products is also the worlds leading supplier of liquefied natural gas process technology and equipment. The company has more than 17,000 employees, and it has operations in about 50 countries in the world.