The global technological firm Amazon announced five new renewable energy projects in China, Australia and the U.S. that further support Amazons commitment to reach 80% renewable energy by 2024 and 100% renewable energy by 2030, as well as to reach net zero carbon by 2040.
- The five projects include Amazons first renewable energy project in China, second in Australia, second and third in Ohio, and 12th in the Commonwealth of Virginia, with a combined 615 MW of additional renewable capacity and an expected generation of 1.2 million MWh of energy annually, or enough to power 113,000 average U.S. homes
- Projects will supply renewable energy to the fulfillment centers and AWS data centers that support millions of customers globally
- Globally, Amazon has 91 renewable energy projects that have the capacity to generate over 2,900 MW and deliver more than 7.6 million MWh of energy annually, further supporting the Companys Climate Pledge commitment to meet the Paris Agreement 10 years early and reach net zero carbon by 2040
We highlight below select prominent expansions and deals by Amazon below:
- March 2020: Amazon has announced four new renewable energy projects in Australia, Spain, Sweden, and the USA. The company is investing globally to enable new renewable energy projects as the company works towards net zero carbon by 2040.
- February 2020: Amazon has announced that its cloud computing arm AWS (Amazon Web Services) is investing around $1.5 billion to set up two data centres in India. These data centres will come up in Hyderabad, in Telangana.
- February 2020: Amazon.com plans to open its first fulfillment center in the state of Iowa in the city of Bondurant, the USA. The new fulfillment center will create 1,000 new full-time jobs with industry-leading pay and comprehensive benefits.
- February 2020: Amazon, announced an expansion of the companys workforce in Santa Barbara, California, and plans to create 150 additional tech jobs in the city. Recently the company has opened a new 48,000 square foot office for Alexa tech teams located in Santa Barbara.
- January 2020: Amazon announced plans to invest $1 billion to enhance digitalisation in India. The company will primarily invest in digitizing micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) and traders across the country. The main beneficiary of investments includes manufacturers, resellers, local offline shops, and local brands. Amazon announced that it would establish nearly 100 Digital Haats in cities and villages to help businesses integrate into the digital economy. The company aims to digitize 10 million MSMEs in this country.
- December 2019: Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS) announced a long term strategic collaboration with leading pharmaceutical company Novartis to accelerate the digital transformation of its global operations. The agreement includes core pharmaceutical manufacturing, supply chain, and delivery operations using AWSs portfolio of cloud services. The collaboration also helps AWS AI and ML services to drive agility, innovation, and cost efficiencies across Novartis global business processes and systems.
- November 2019: Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS), announced a global strategic partnership with global Customer Relationship Management (CRM) leader Salesforce. Salesforce is introducing Service Cloud Voice, a new offering that seamlessly integrates Amazon Connect, to provide contact center agents with a complete set of tools in their agent workspace to deliver enhanced customer service support. The company already depends on AWS as its primary public cloud provider, and Salesforce has chosen Amazon Connect as its preferred contact center technology partner.
- November 2019: Amazon plans to build a new state-of-the-art Amazon Robotics innovation hub in Westborough, Massachusetts, the USA. The new Robotics innovation hub will create 200 tech and advanced manufacturing jobs for locals. The $40 million hub will allow Amazon Robotics to continue to grow its engineering, manufacturing, support, and test teams in the USA. The new 350,000 square feet innovation hub will feature corporate offices, research and development labs, and manufacturing space.
- October 2019: Amazon.com announced plans to open Data Centers in Spain. The new AWS Europe (Spain) Region will consist of three Availability Zones, and this will be AWSs seventh region in Europe. The new Spain Region is expected to open in early 2023. At present, AWS provides 69 Availability Zones across 22 infrastructure regions worldwide.
Seattle based Amazon is a worlds largest online marketplace. The companys more than 1,900,000 people focus on e-commerce, digital streaming, cloud computing, and artificial intelligence globally. The company is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Some of the pioneered products of Amazon include 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa.