The retail giant Carrefour has opened its first hypermarket in Uganda. The Group is expanding its foothold in the African region through its Partnership with Dubai based Majid Al Futtaim Group, which has been partnering Carrefour in approximately 25 countries in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia region.
Carrefour has opened its hypermarket at Oasis shopping mall in Kampala, the capital city of Uganda. The shopping mall has 2800 m² sales area and sells nearly 20,000 local and international branded products under one roof. The company has hired around 130 local people and engaged with 50 retail companies.
The major investments and deals of Carrefour have mentioned below.
- January 2020: The Carrefour Group, has announced the acquisition of Dejbox, a pioneer in lunch delivery for the business. To deliver foods on time, Dejbox employees are located in suburban and outlying areas. The deal will expand Carrefour’s e-grocery offerings, which include both a new product segment (ready-to-eat meals) and a new customer base (B2E, or the business-to-employee market.
- November 2019: Carrefour opened a new format of organic certified food stores in Warsaw, Poland. The new store offers 2,500 products and is the first store offering mostly organic food in the country. Poland is the fourth country in which Carrefour BIO stores have developed, the other three countries are France, Belgium, and Spain.
- July 2019: Carrefour has signed a strategic partnership with Glovo, for four countries, with exclusive rights in France. The new agreement will allow urban consumers to benefit from a 30-minute delivery service and seven days a week. The agreement helps Carrefour’s ambition to develop a unique omnichannel model and become the leader in food e-commerce, adding to its existing services, including Express Delivery in France.
- April 2019: Carrefour Belgium announced a partnership with the Medi-Market Group to set up pharmacies or health and beauty retail outlets inside hypermarkets. The pharmacies or beauty retailing will be based on the “shop-in-shop” format. The Medi-Market Group operates nearly 30 health and beauty outlets, 16 pharmacies, and three beauty salons across Belgium.
- February 2019: Carrefour and U Enseigne signed four agreements to increase the income for milk suppliers. The four agreement includes Lactalis, Sodiaal, Yoplait, and Laïta designed to increase revenue for approximately 28,000 French milk producers. These agreements cover a wide range of products such as the Président, Lactel, Entremont, La Laitière, Lanquetot, Lepetit, Chaussée aux Moines, Yoplait, Yop, Petits Filous, Perle de lait, Candia and Paysan breton brands.
About the Carrefour Group
French retailer, The Carrefour Group, is one of the world’s leading food retail company. The company has all resources to cater to the customers of different needs, whether they live in an urban or rural environment. The company has more than 12,200 stores in around 30 countries in the world and a customer base of 105 million customers. The company has more than 360,000 employees who help to make Carrefour the world leader in the food retailing across the world.
The Carrefour Group’s stores come in a variety of formats globally- The hypermarkets – with a general product offer at the best possible prices; supermarkets – the leading grocery format; convenience stores – for service and practical solutions; cash & carry retail stores for professionals; hypercash stores, drive and e-commerce – designed to meet growing modern customer needs.