Chinas leading automobile manufacturer Geely Auto has announced an investment of approximately $53 million for the Development of Healthier Cars.
- To further the fight against Coronavirus, Geely Auto has earmarked 370 million RMB of funding to further the development of healthy, intelligent vehicles.
- The move not only adds a new dimension to Geelys understanding of passenger safety, it also represents a new development direction for automobiles.
- The development of a healthier car differs from specialized medical vehicles in that Geelys products are made for ordinary consumers. Cars with comprehensive virus protection not only require the capability to isolate harmful substances in the air, it also needs to quickly and effectively purify cabin air for occupants.
- Geely Autos global R&D and design networks based in Europe, USA and China will jointly move to develop and research new environmentally sustainable materials with anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties which can be used within air-conditioner systems and on frequently touched surfaces such as buttons and handles.
- Geely Auto will make full use of its global R&D system and resources as well as cooperate with professional medical and scientific research institutions to set up special project teams to work on the new research.
FAW Hongqi Begins Construction of NEV Plant in Changchun
- FAW Group announced to commence construction of a new Changchun-based plant, which is designed to produce new energy vehicles and intelligent-connected vehicles under its premium brand Hongqi.
- With a total investment of $1.1 billion, the plant is scheduled to be completed in 2022 with an annual capacity of 200,000 units.
- In the first quarter of 2020, Hongqi brand realized 21,300 units in production and 25,000 units in sale, with an increase of 74% and 88% over a year ago. In the following 5 years, Hongqi will introduce 21 new models, covering L, S, H and Q series, 18 of which will be new energy vehicles. Hongqi will also mass produce models with L3 and L4 autonomous functions in 2020 and 2021 respectively.
- FAW is a leading global manufacturer of quality passenger cars, trucks, and buses. Established in 1953, the company is Chinas oldest and largest automotive group.