The global clean energy leader Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy has announced the completion of acquisition of all shares in Ria Blades, S.A., which owns and operates the onshore wind turbine blade production plant in Vagos, Portugal. Siemens Gamesa also acquired other assets from Senvion to operate the facility.
The acquisition of Ria Blades facility will strengthen Siemens Gamesas competitiveness in its onshore business by absorbing expected growth in production from external suppliers, mainly from Asia, and will become an export hub for international markets. The deal will further enhance existing manufacturing capabilities of Siemens Gamesa.
The Onshore European Service unit acquisition added approximately 9 GW in service fleet in 13 European countries, bringing the total serviced fleet to around 69 GW globally, while diversifying the business mix and geographical representation in Europe, with contracts that have long-term visibility and high renewal rates.
The major deals and investments by Siemens in last three months are mentioned below:
- March 2020: Siemens Gamesa announced that it will supply 25 SG 4.5-145 wind turbines for one of the Vietnams largest wind farms. Vietnam has one of the best wind resources in Southeast Asian region. The Hoa Thang 1.2 wind farm has total capacity of 113 MW, it will generate enough electricity to meet the demands of over 240,000 Vietnamese following its commissioning in 2021. The company has secured a 10-year service contract. The project located in the Bac Binh district, Binh Thuan province, on the South-Central coast of Vietnam, is developed by Hoa Thang Energy.
- February 2020: Siemens AG will acquire all the shares of Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy (SGRE) held by Iberdrola S.A. for approximately $1.2 billion. The three companies (Iberdrola, Siemens, and SGRE) have signed a cooperation agreement for specific projects related to wind power generation and to improve the distribution grid.
- January 2020: Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy completed the acquisition of Senvion’s European Service assets and Intellectual Property (IP). The deal strengthen the company’s competitive position in Europe by adding approximately 9.0 GW serviced fleet and operations in 13 countries.
- January 2020: Siemens AG signed an agreement with Ghana Grid Co. to upgrade the country’s electricity grid. Siemens will help to improve the Ghana’s ability to supply other West African nations, including Burkina Faso, Togo, and Benin.
- December 2019: Siemens announced agreements to deliver power generation equipment for two new peaking power plants in the Republic of Belarus. The power plants will be operated in conjunction with the existing Lukomlskaya and Novopolotskaya power plants in the Vitebsk region of Belarus. The new plants are expected to go into operation at the end of 2021.
- December 2019: Siemens will provide equipment to Lalitpur Power Generation Company Limited (LPGCL), a Bajaj Group company. LPGCL has a coal-fired power plant located in Lalitpur, Uttar Pradesh, India and Siemens will provide advanced digital solutions and a complete thermal twin improving the plant’s performance.
About Siemens Gamesa
Spain based Siemens Gamesa is a global supplier of wind energy solutions. The company was formed in 2017 by the merger of Siemens Wind Power and Gamesa. The company offers one of the industrys broadest product portfolios, with both offshore and onshore technology. The company has installed over 99 GW of wind capacity in more than 90 countries.
About Siemens AG
Siemens is a Berlin-based global industrial manufacturing and technology company. The company has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability, and internationality for last 170 years. The company is focused on the areas of power generation and distribution, manufacturing industries, intelligent infrastructure for buildings and distributed energy systems, and automation and digitalization in the process.
Siemens is one of the world’s largest producers of energy-efficient technologies; It is also a leading supplier of medical technologies and is providing solutions in IT, industry, finance, and energy. The company is a pioneer in providing intelligent infrastructure and industry solutions to the world.