The European Investment Bank expands cooperation with the World Health Organization to strengthen public health, supply of essential equipment, training and hygiene investment in countries most vulnerable to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The partnership will benefit from the EIBs planned $1.5 billion response to address the health, social and economic impact of COVID-19 in Africa. The WHO and the EIB will increase cooperation to help governments in low- and middle-income countries to finance and secure access to essential medical supplies and protective equipment through central procurement. The partnership will builds resilient health systems in vulnerable countries across Africa.
The EIB Groups financial supports in last three months are mentioned below:
- April 2020: The European financial institution European Investment Bank has approved approximately $5.4 billion financial assistance for businesses hit by the economic shock created by COVID-19. The new fund will help to upgrade and manufacture more medical equipments for COVID patient.
- April 2020: The leading financial institution European Investment Bank (EIB) is lending $436 million to Germany to upgrade the A3 motorway in Bavaria between the AK Biebelried and AK Fürth/Erlangen junctions, via a public-private partnership (PPP). The European Commission and EIB Group are working together as per Juncker Plan to boost the infrastructure and competitiveness of the European economy.
- April 2020: The EIB Group has announced a COVID-19 guarantee fund of approximately $27 billion. The fund will be implemented by the Groups subsidiary EIB and the EIF, which is specialised in funding small and medium-sized enterprises.
- In March 2020, The EIB Group has proposed a plan to mobilise approximately $ 44 billion of financing for SMEs and mid-caps. The fund will be supported through loans, credit holidays and other measures designed to alleviate liquidity and working capital constraints for SMEs and mid-caps.
- In March 2020: Covestro has announced a loan with the European Investment Bank (EIB) for $249 million. The loan will provide medium term funding to strengthen CovestroÕs research and development (R&D) work in the areas of sustainability and circular economy within the European Union.
The European Investment Bank Group, is an international financial institution, headquartered in Luxembourg. It is a bank of European Union. The EIB Group has two parts- the European Investment Bank(EIB) and the European Investment Fund(EIF). The EIB is the lending arm of 27 members European Union. The EIF support SMEs, and it work through financial intermediaries in the Member States and in partnership with national promotional banks. EIB helps in creating jobs and improving lives for EU citizens and also helps people in developing countries.